"Femtosecond dynamics and coherent control in atoms,
molecules and clusters: theory and experiment''
The understanding and control of the dynamics in atoms, molecules and clusters has been a
tremendously growing field in the past decade. This has been acknowledged with the 1999
Nobel prize in chemistry awarded to Ahmed Zewail.
The purpose of this issue is to collect the newest results in the field of ultrafast dynamics and
coherent control in the gas phase. The subfields we want to cover include theoretical and/or
experimental studies of:
- ultrashort dynamics in atoms, molecules and clusters,
- atoms, molecules and clusters in strong laser fields: ATI, ATD, Coulomb explosion..., and control of such processes,
- coherent control and/or optimal control of ultrafast dynamics, using short or shaped laser pulses,
- coherent control schemes based on quantum interference between excitation paths,
- coherent control schemes based on a subtle manipulation of the internal quantum state, such as rapid adiabatic passage,"pi'' pulses...
Authors are encouraged to submit original research papers containing experimental and/or
theoretical work to the guest editors.
Pr. Bertrand Girard
Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse III
Laboratoire Collisions, Agrégats, Réactivité
118 route de Narbonne
31062 Toulouse Cedex, France
Tel.: 33 (0)5 61 55 64 98
Fax: 33 (0)5 61 55 83 17
Pr. Volker Engel
Institut für Physikalische Chemie
97074 Würzburg, Germany
Alternatively, submissions can be made to the EPJ Editorial Office in Orsay, with the clear
statement of the Special Issue. All submissions will be reviewed in accordance with the normal
review procedures of the journal.
Deadline for submission is September 1st 2000. Manuscript arriving after this date cannot be
considered for publication in the special issue.
Authors willing to contribute are kindly asked to inform the editors and give a (tentative) title
until June, 1st.